Athena Sustainable Materials Institute has released an update to it's Impact Estimator software for environmental life cycle assessments.
The Impact Estimator is a free and compliant whole building LCA software for those seeking the LCA credits in Green Globes® and LEED® (v4 and MR pilot credit 63). The update is available for download from Athena's LCA Tools site, calculatelca.com.
One interesting development is the end-of-life effects. As we have discussed in our meetings, wood can have varying impacts to the air (greenhouse gas release) if it is burned or decomposes at the end of its life. More about the treatment of biogenic carbon is discussed here: http://structureandsustainability.blogspot.com/2011/12/q5-lca-tools-and-data-collection.htmlEnhancements and updates captured in this version:
- New and updated cradle-to-grave North American steel product data;
- New GAF TPO roofing membrane data;
- Supports new user defined concrete mix designs and blended cements;
- Includes latest CORRIM US regional wood product data;
- New Canadian wood products data (LVL, I-joists and CLT);
- Updated end-of-life landfill process data;
- New bio-products carbon accounting scenarios including end-of-life effects;
- Updated metal building systems LCI data and assembly quantity take-offs;
- Full compatibility with US EPA's TRACI v2.1 characterization method; and
- New software "Auto Update" capability.